Friday, 31 January 2014

meanwhile... an observation

On Monday morning, instead of starting on week 3 of the Climate Change course, I was in Glasgow, heading home for a weekend visiting my son, and happened to call into the big Waterstones in Sauciehall Street.  Amazing bookshop, four floors of well laid-out shelves, good lighting, comfy chairs... so I started browsing their 'Popular' Science shelves, on the look out for something readable and informative on Climate Change.

I suppose I shouldn't have been shocked... but book after book that I picked up was 'sceptical' about climate change, even some suggesting a 'conspiracy'... by evil 'greens' like me I suppose, determined to impose our windfarms and solar panels on an unsuspecting world!

There were at least as many of these unscientific books as there were reasonable ones.  Depressing or what?!  No wonder so many people are cynical and doubtful, when they are presented with what seems at least like an evenly balanced debate!

If I had any doubts about the value of studying climate change, this browse through the bookshelves convinced me!

So... on with week three.

No comments: