Another of the interesting facts I learned this week was that the deep ocean is the biggest carbon 'sink' - and why this is (thanks to Prof Tim's feedback video!)
But... with global warming, and the warming of the oceans, will this mean more carbon is released from the oceans, or that less carbon is absorbed, or what? Something I hope will be covered in the next week or so, and something I'll try and find out about, myself.
The absorption of about 25% of CO2 by the land (mostly by plants) shows the importance of saving what forests we have left, and planting more forests. A doubling of Britain's woodland cover would be a great way of carbon capture that requires no as yet untried technology! If those new forests were native species, fast growing trees like willow, birch and hazel, they could be managed (coppiced) for biomass to generate electricity, while at the same time adding to the biodiversity and attractiveness of our countryside, benefiting wildlife and providing a great leisure resource - using woodlands for healthy outdoor activities such as walking, cycling etc.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment